Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Connect Me To My Dear Friend, Charlie, Post Haste.


My dearest Little Sister,
I apologize for recommending that you find - and I quote - 
'Creative outlet... Like I did with Pinterest'
That was... Well, weird for one. And smug for two.
You're only 27. You don't have to have anything figured out. I swear. 
And as for the shit you are figuring out? You're doing a fine job at it.
You are!
Every time you laugh,
a fairy gets it's wings.
Better than fine. 
Hell, I'm thirty and I still say things like, 'Find a creative outlet like I did with Pinterest.'
(And I talk about it like it's a real thing; as though I've joined some existential MENSA book club. 
I had to spell check the word existential, forgodssakes.)
You know what advice I do have?
It's not even mine, but it made me feel better when I received it.
Last Autumn, when I was feeling entirely out of control, and having ups and downs like the Colorado Rockies have mountains, I went as far to write asking for the advice of advice guru E. Jean, of ELLE Magazine.
I'm not sure if I ever told anyone I did it, but I love her, and felt... Helpless at the time.
It was a mess of a letter, more personal than I ever had been to anyone with my name attached, but...
She wrote back. 
(And, I cried.)
And no, it's not the exact.same.situation, but her words are golden, and more eloquent than mine can be at times
(see: above comment from a-hole big sister).
Here is her response.
And It's damn good advice.
And it helped me.
A lot. 
And you're already doing it now, and that's the best you can do.


Miss D! Miss D! Miss D!
*Pretend she's saying your name, okay?
You are so clever and marvelous and talented---- 
You DON'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING. 
JUST one tiny thing every day. 
One piece of mail, for instance..... 
Try it!
Tiny
Tiny
Tiny!
 
Ravishing regards,
E. Jean
Gawd, she's amazing.
And more importantly, so are you.
You will land on your feet, I swear - whether it be during a charity marathon or a leisurely stroll. 
I promise.
And, I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere.

Kid, I've got your back.

I love you.
More than Pinterest.


No comments:

Post a Comment