Saturday, April 14, 2012

Oh For Goodness Sake.

'Things just seem to work out for me. They just... They just do.' 
                                    Beauty said to me in the car yesterday.
'Me too! When something is goes wrong, it always seems to work out just fine. I feel... Lucky.' 
The little and the big, the worst situations and the best, I feel like in this path that I've carved out for myself on Earth, nothing is ever as bad as it initially seems, and works out for the best. I am not the person who blames the world, or her environment, for what does go wrong in life; I don't have a Me v. the World mentality, but I'll gladly accept that in my world most things work out.
Perhaps this is why I believe that People are inherently Good. 
I hate when others like to fight me on that, citing violence and hatred as a symbol of humanity's inherent 'Badness'.
Because to me, the Bad is the exception. 
Good is the Rule.
It's just unfortunate the bad makes the nightly news.
For every one or two terrible people we hear about, there are literally thousands upon thousands of good people not making the news, maneuvering through their imperfect worlds, learning and growing and loving.
I truly believe that people are inherently good, with our free will & all, and our ability to learn and grow through the mistakes and missteps we make and take. No matter what happens, I doubt I will ever believe otherwise. My own personal spirituality also leans towards the idea that this is because humanity was created by an inherently Good (uncreated) Creator who gave us the ability to Hope, Learn, Grow and Empathize, buthatsjustme.
Things work out in the world for me, and for Beauty, and for most of us because we are navigating a world of Good People doing the best they can. Even the bitch who flipped me off on the 405 last week has probably tossed coins into the Salvation Army bucket in front of her local CVS.

And I'm walking through a world of Good today.
And yesterday.
And if I'm lucky, which I believe I am, tomorrow.

What prompted this little pseudoreligious ramble, you ask?*
*Other than my conversation with Beauty, 
who daily shows me that she has a 
lot more to offer than just good looks. 
Yea, a little like that.
Well, I walked into my local coffee shop this morning; a locally owned bustling Italian cafe favored by the transplanted Europeans of the area, with my sunglasses still on as I literally rolled out of bed and into the car. I've been going there for close to ten years, and this morning - being Saturday - the place was expectedly packed. The familiar faces behind the counter, the ones I see every single morning these days, they are kind. The usual barista these days is a hipsterish blond boy with an equally blonde beard - I like seeing him every morning. I like seeing him around town with his girlfriend. He exudes a quiet sort of kindness.
Well, this morning, I walked in and got in line. The older man in front of me ushered me ahead of him in line, for no reason in particular. I thanked him and took my place ahead of him. My sweet blond barista smiled at me and mouthed, 'What're you getting today?' I motioned 'big cup' and mouthed back, 'Large Americano'. (Which, to be really honest with you, is the most expensive of my 'usuals' and I really at this point have no business spending $4 on a coffee when a $2 one would suffice, but I went for it anyway.) Still standing in line, waiting for the two young Italian men ahead of me to decide between a cannoli or a cookie, the barista leaned over the bar and handed me my drink, smiled, and said, 'I got ya today.'
I thanked him, and left, wondering if coffee shop baristas realize the power they yield?


And that got me thinking about the power that we, as humans, yield. 
And how we do Good.
That we have ability and the want to make someone's entire day just by doing something as simple as giving them a free Large Americano.
Without knowing that they shouldn't really afford it.


Today is going to be a good day.
Today is a Good Day.


3 comments:

  1. I love you.... Thanks for inviting me out today. For the record, no, you don't radiate positivity on a a moment to moment bases, but you do on a day to day bases..... And that is why love you. And I hope I am one of the friends you think brings more to the table than my good looks, because yes, I am ravishing, but I'm smart too!  Xoxox Bijou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing* more to the table.

    Jesus, my smarts are coming into question. Listen, I'm drunk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good Lord how I love you. You bring so much to the table, sometimes I get full just thinking about it. (No, that didn't make sense, but you catch my drift.)I reread Paper Planes yesterday & it just makes me so happy that I have you in my life.

    xx

    ReplyDelete