Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Closet Contentment.

Sometimes, as shallow as it may seem, what really makes me happy is a peek inside my closet.
I have beautiful clothing*.
*Or, whats left of it after four months of 
unemployment & many trips to Buffalo Exchange.

The (now tattered) Dries Van Noten that my sister scored a consignment store in San Francisco and finally gave to me after years of pleading.
The pink Nightcap open weave cardigan that I bought with birthday money from my boss at my old shop, overpriced and ethereal, it was finally mine at twenty nine.
The Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent dress I wore to a wedding in TriBeCa years ago.
The Forever 21 dress I wore to my Flame Haired Favorite's wedding at the Viceroy in Palm Springs.
The never been worn Leyendecker mini dress that looks terrible on me, but divine hanging in my closet.
My Bad Luck/Good Luck Missoni skirt and my Jen's Pirate Booty french lace caftan.
The tangerine Joie dress Jim bought me.

I've collected costumes over the years; these are the pieces I cannot part with.
I love them like old friends.
They represent the good, the bad, and the phenomenal.

My most recent luxuries hang there too; near-rent priced Kate Spade dresses, a gold lame accordian pleated skirt - so au currant for fall. Cow-print haircalf loafers - a score at $32 this morning - they sit next to sweat stained Louboutins and vintage equestrian boots. I've walked miles in these shoes.

Jim and I spent a good month designing this closet - with stainless steel racks, wood hangers & wire baskets. We did it all ourselves; combining my Rachel Pally with his John Varvatos; taking into account the length of my maxi dresses and the need for storage of his Theory dress shirts.

My closet makes me happy; as my style has defined me in many ways.
Most pieces, I remember exactly when, and with whom, I bought them - as well as where, and with whom, I wore them.
They are tangible reminders of memories. My clothing allows me reminds me of who I am.
That I've grown from a girl whose favorite compliments had something to do the with shape of her body to a woman whose favorite compliment is when someone tells her she has 'amazing taste'.


No comments:

Post a Comment