Sunday, November 6, 2011

My Mother Always Said, Why Don't You Write Them A Letter?

Dear Ex Boyfriend,

You look handsome these days.
Well, you've always been handsome, but life without my cooking really suits you.

So, we saw each other again.
And, again, you couldn't even manage a simple 'Hello'?
Not even a head nod.
I just can't wrap my brain around it.

I would like to remind you - We spent five years together.
Five years.
And for many of those years, we were in Love.
I spent most of my twenties with you.
As 'Us'.

In the dark, I do exist.
We had a home together.
We sent out Christmas cards.
Kat Moss had a sister.
We were a Family for many many years.

And you know, your family stories are mine now.
Your parents & your sister - They were mine once too.
And I am thankful for that.

Yet you cannot even acknowledge me.

Your twenties - Do you not acknowledge them either?
Or do you just simply leave me out of the story like you did with the last girl who broke your heart?
Not a mention of her when you talk about that trip to New York the two of you took with your family.
Do you leave me out when you talk of our own?

I exist, you know. I always will.
& it breaks my heart a little that you can look straight through me;
as though I am nothing more than cold Fall air.

It makes me sad that you have so much anger that you cannot let go of.

So much so that you cannot even say Hello.
I am not asking for a hug, or even an arm squeeze.
Just a simple acknowledgment.
A Hi.

I wish you the best.

Love,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment