Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And the Owl Said, 'Who?'

Time is a funny thing. Enemy or friend, time passing never ceases to shock  me.
I cam across an old picture of myself, and it saddened me.
Its only about four years old, but still, the girl in it - she's not Me.
She has a whole other set of Hopes and a different view of Happiness.
She sees things in her future that I now do not. For better or for worse, she had no idea what was coming. It was taken a year to the day that my relationship with the Ex ended, on the Fourth of July in 2009 and I don't even recognize her.
That Dori hasn't existed  for many many years. And for many reasons, and in some ways it makes me sad.
Not because I miss him, but sometimes I miss the naivete of that life.
In that moment I was so happy.

Update: I hopped in the shower right after I wrote this, and remembered something very important. Yes, in.that.moment I was so happy, but that girl - that girl right there - had her own set of doubts and unhappiness too. It was just a different set. A lot of it having to do with being unsure about her choice in partner (though, never his family) and a general feeling of stagnation in her own right. So, no, I may not look like her anymore, or celebrate the same ways, or stress about the same things, and yes, I do envy her naivete; and yes, time is a funny thing, but it is time passing that is an even funnier shaped cloud.

I imagine Kate Moss thinks the same when she sees such photographs. 
Though hers are much more glamorous.

Kate Moss and Johnny Depp in 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment