Monday, May 16, 2011

My Mother's ABC's

I recently came across this song my mom wrote when I was young...
As a kid, it all seemed like good common sense - "No duh, Mom!" but revisiting it as a poem as an 'adult', it resonates with me on a totally different level.
Before I started this, I actually took a notebook and titled each page with a letter and its corresponding rhyme; instead of journaling in the old fashioned way - or, in my case, pity-party fashioned way - I have been 'filling out' my ABC's of Self Esteem. 

So, I wanted to share:

The ABC's of Self Esteem
A is ask for what you need
Be be yourself that's the best way to be
Ccc Take care of your health
and we'll all be hap,hap,hap,happy
Ddd Do the right thing honestly
and don't forget to Express yourself
 me me me me me me
F is for feeling your feelings
don't let tears get stuck inside
G for good friends
H for hugs
I for imagination
let the J joy out of your heart
a little Kindness goes a long, long way
and spread Love every day
M means mistakes are Okay (it's Okay to make mistakes!)
N for right now cause now's the time
to really sieze the day
Strive to be outstanding in all you do
Perfectly imperfect is perfect it's true
so ask alot of Q for questions
you'll get answers you will see
Respect yourself and others
like a family
say Sorry when you need to
you'll feel better when you do
the T for try again
I believe in you
I do I do
so be Understanding
of those with differences
celebrate your Victories
you've Worked hard
X is for the crossrouds you meet on the way
follow your heart it knows which way to go
Y is yearn to learn
and Z play the kazoo
follow your heart it knows which way to go!!!!!
copyright Dava Sheridan 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment