Friday, May 13, 2011

The Superman Switch.


We all know that one of the 'dangers' of online dating is the accuracy of photographs... It's a given. Some people look better in photos, some worse. We only use our best ones (or most clever/exciting) in our profiles, I mean, I know I do! It just comes with the territory. You're essentially advertising yourself, so no - you're not going to put up that haggard picture of you at 4am in New York hugging a newspaper stand, now are you?
That being said, on Thursday I went out with someone who - intellectually speaking - I really relate to. He seems to get me. The two of us have spent hours on the phone, & he has been able to pick up on huge parts of my personality from even the smallest nuances and personal statements. For a man - for anyone really - he is intuitive and he is intelligent and kind. He has is life together, has great friends, owns his own company... and a boat(!). I like him. But I was a little worried that attraction would be an issue; I knew he was a bit bigger and shorter than I usually go for, but on personality alone he was already ahead of the game, so I figured it wasn't super important - I am a big believer that a fantastic personality can make almost anyone attractive. And vice versa for that matter; how many people have you come across that are really good looking until they open their mouths?
So we agree to meet at a tapas place downtown.
First thing I notice is that from straight on, he's the spitting image of Dean Cain, TV's beloved Superman:

Fantastic looking fellow, don'tchathink?
It's going well... The sangria has been poured, & my nerves are subsiding.
And then I notice It.
He looks over his right shoulder to say something to me...
...and all of the sudden,
he looks like a Troll.
Oh God.
Front on: Dean Cain.
Right view: Troll.
Front on: Dean Cain.
Left view: Troll.
Glass of sangria in: Shiny, droopy-eyed trollish Dean Cain.
It started to happen faster...
DeanCain.
Troll.
DeanCain.
Troll.
DeanCain.
Troll.Troll.Trooollll.
He is the human version of the above optical illusion.
OldLady.YoungLady.OldLady.YoungLady.
Superman.Troll.Superman.Troll.
I don't want to be a shallow person. I really don't. And I by no means am trying to be cruel, but you know when you get something stuck in your head and you can't get it out? (Think the mole scene in Austin Powers here.)
Looks aren't everything...  Unfortunately, I just can't get that out of my brain, and it really ruined the possibility of a "spark" for me. I just kept fearing the troll. He was great; it's nice to know that there are men out there who are intuitive & know how to listen (add those things to my ongoing list of things I want and deserve in a man). I am still working on how to tell him there is not going to be a second date.
Aye aye aye.
Sidenote: 3rd date with B---- Friday. He's comin' to my hood. He's had a rough week. I'm excited to see him.
1st date with the 49er Saturday. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment