Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Are You a Good Witch or Are You a Bad Witch?

The Wicked Witch tells me that I have bad teeth. She also tells me that my hair is stringy.
The Good Witch tells me I have a great smile. She reminds me that I look really pretty with my hair upswept in a sidebraid.
I'll get you, my pretty...
The WW cackles in my ear,
Remember all the stupid things you've done?
To which the GW sings,
But don't forget about the smart!
The WW reminds me of the mean and the GW reminds of the kind.

My Witches cackle and sing - they go back and forth all day, everyday. I imagine we all have those two battling voices in our heads - and we listen to the Witch screaming or soothing louder that day, that week or that year.

This past year I have felt much like the original Dorothy maneuvering herself down that damn Yellow Brick Road; trying to find a way home, making friends and enemies along the way, learning as I go. I've listened to the cackles and stumbled into dark WW territory and I've seen the vibrant, fulfilling, and happy places that I credit to listening to the GW's song.

For the most part, these days, my Good Witch is singing in-tune, at the top of her lungs - that I'm doing well, I'm worthy of the happiness & love that I feel. My GW is happy and she is loved. She is out in the world, making the best of each day; resilient & strong, and having a great time at it. The Good Witch & I are a good team, letmetellyou.
But sometimes that asshole Wicked Witch  has been able to convince me that I have nothing going for me or that I'm abrasive or selfish or all of the above. My WW is all those things. On a particularly bad day, she might even convince me that I'm unlovable. And unfortunately, sometimes I've listened. The Wicked Witch and I - we make poor decisions, we are careless and we are shortsighted.

Hopefully, like the OG Dorothy, I safely get 'Home' - defeating whatever flying monkeys or runaway hot-air balloons that come my way. And, like her, I am going to need the help of my Good Witch and my friends to help me get there.
We all do.
Dorothy couldn't have done it alone and neither can we.

No comments:

Post a Comment