Monday, July 30, 2012

My Not My House Home.


So, I'm lounging here, with hot coffee in a mug and Bon Iver playing on my itunes, reading recaps and pinning pins, and I feel so... Comfortable.
I'm at home. Even though it is not technically mine, I would much rather be here, with a couch and a bed, and the energy that has built up in this newish condo in suburban Irvine between me and M. Here, we are happy.
Here, we lounge watching Our Shows, with Our Cats, and Our Vera Wang hi ball tumblers that we found at Home Goods together for $4 a piece. Here, we has quite literally created a space that is just that, Ours.
And though we have not been together long, and though I still (and will) have my own place far away at the beach, this space have become a combination of both our tastes.
Modern and new, mixed with vintage and old. The whimsy of a boy who spent some time in college staring at lava lamps and listening to Jimi Handrix, with the hints of a girl with likes to decorate with books and flowers, and has done so since college. I mean it's his place, so it is reflective of both his grown up tastes (that light fixture, dark woods) & and his boyish good nature (Math Art! Lime Green! Psuedopsychedelic prints), but its come together well.

Remember his old place?
When I walked in, and thought 'This guy needs a girlfriend.'
Well... He has one now.
This is my Not My House Home.
And I love it.
So, I snapped some pictures. Bear in mind, I'm in Irvine.
And its not done.
And I am no magician.
I arrived at a shell: a couch, a coffee table and a dining room table.
Oh, and a God awful brass light fixture over the dining room table.
We've done everything as a team, together.
Next up: the closet and then the bathroom.
Though, I did ask if he still wanted to do his orginal (teal/Casbah-inspired) idea for the bathroom last night and he looked at me and sweetly said, 'No. Do whatever you want.'

The Living Room (I originally wrote: The Loving Room, which was a mistake, but Hmmm...)
Mug, coffee filled.
Pillows, Restoration Hardware.
Shelf, Ikea - with findings from life, Ikea, Anthro.
Wine crate, gift from my old shop.
One of my favorite things ever.


Coffee Table book purchased on our way home from Palm Springs,
at the James Perse outlet.
It is not, in fact, by James Perse but only
JP-Approved.
Kate Spade 5 Burroughs coaster.

Why yes, that is a First Edition book of Poems.
Yes, M has read them aloud to me.

Over the Fireplace.

Behind the front door.
This is the sconce that prompted the balance conversation.
Anthro, for like thirty two bucks.

Vintage Bar Cart, also from the old shop.
Now serving as a valet stand & bookcase by the front door.
Yes, I have moved some of my furniture in.
Dining Area.
He gets flowers every weekend while I am at work.
The checkers always ask if he is trying to 'get out of the doghouse?'
'No, I just like fresh flowers...'
Dining area. That light fixture is what started it all.
Yes, those are 'Math' paintings.
Left to his own devices on Etsy.
Bedroom.
Kat Moss' new digs.
Johnathon Adler lamps.
(We have since moved the picture up about five inches.)
So its colorful, its a little irreverent (?)
...and it finally feels like people live here.
Because, they do.
Happily.
With two cats.




No comments:

Post a Comment