Monday, January 30, 2012

Like a Kindergartner Allowed to Dress Herself.

I have recently begun a collection of Man Repelling clothes.
See: the Man Repeller website.
Okay, let's not kid ourselves - I've been dressing a la Man Repell for a long time now. While I like to consider my style.... errr.... 'esoteric' if you will, the reality is, well - that I revel in the fact that most things I wear make my friends say things to the effect of, 'Well, yeah, You can pull that off...' Whether or not I'm actually pulling them off... Well, lets just say, My fingers are crossed. 
Between my seventy necklaces, bracelets and rings, as well as my 'its so ugly it's awesome' mantra of buying clothes (see: recently purchased 'skeleton torso' sweater vest, leather shorts, sheer paisley print shirt dress maxi and/or cut-out tan oxfords) I definitely dress to the beat of my own drum. Thank God.
You know its funny, so does my mom. And I remember being young and just wishing she would 'dress like all the other moms'! Oh the irony.... (Actually, speaking of ironic, now that I think about it, the title of this post is how I often describe my 'style' and it is how my mother would describe her own style as I was growing up.) But... My clothes are Me. (I think we all feel this way. Or at least, we should.)
And if Me is a black & white stripe maxi dress and men's denim shirt one day and a back cashmere sweater, lace bloomers, and equestrian boots the next, so be it. But I have recently come to the conclusion that my man repellent clothes & my 'Rebel Ballerin'a style have melded into a new aesthetic for Winter Dress... And, if I had to describe it (or wanted to, which is what I'm doing, now isn't it...?) I would sum it up with the vague & inarticulate description of:
Renegade corps dancer meets gypsy Ralph Lauren?*  
*See:
denim + leather
crochet + ikat
corduroy + cashmere
ugly + awesome
I've thrown a lil' pre-K Americana into my Rebel Ballerina.













That last one is justcuz that's my favorite song right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment