Saturday, October 1, 2011

Checking It Twice.

If I were to write down On Paper my 'perfect' man - the honest, unabridged and slightly superficial list would read something like:
Tall, handsome, successful, owns property (or at the very least, has the capacity to do so), logical and intelligent. Established. Good taste in restaurants and a nice car would be an added bonus. Believes in the exsistance of a higher power. Wears a suit well. Intuitive. An accent would be nice. (duh.) I don't need them to be funny. Extra points go to men who are engineers or extremely business-minded; or who build things with their hands. Doesn't have that type of mouth I hate, and has good taste in sunglasses. (No joke, bad taste in sunglasses is - in fact - a dealbreaker for me.) Not a wanderlust. A gentleman. Older than me.


Looks real good On Paper, now doesn't it?
Also, looks a bit out of my league, but really it's my list. IdowhatIwant. I'm sure there are guys out there who basically list an amalgam of Giselle Bunchen and Mila Kunis - who are like totally in their league. I also realize that I just listed an amalgam of my Aussie and my Dutchman with a little bit of Richard Branson & my Secret Ex-Boyfriend thrown in for kicks, but whatever. And although, a good friend did send me a (very beautiful) email, after the Dutchman and I were over, reminding me,


...Nurse your heart with those wonderful friends and in time your awesome self, eventually, will find something amazing again ...on this continent ...probably with an accent ...but on this continent. (AND REMIND YOURSELF TO *TRY* NOT COMPARING EVERY GUY TO THE DUTCH GENT ....BECAUSE THEY *WON'T* BE HIM....easier said than done, I know.



Thanks guys.
I can't not compare everyone to him. The reality is, (other than the distance) - with all the paper hearts & the paper flowers - He was pretty perfect, on & off paper. Between him and the man from Down Under, the bar has been set quite high.  And I do believe that somewhere out there - 'there' being in America - I do believe there is a guy like this out there with a list of his own that reads;
Petite, compassionate brunette with a flare for words & getting dressed in the morning who loves the beach and wine, who finds irony and humour in the everyday. One who knows how to cook but likes to eat out, loves flowers but is sort of afraid of strange dogs and large crowds.
He would spell it humour because he has an accent, you see. He would also take me to the theatre.
(By the way, I look very feminine On Paper.) He wouldn't care that I don't make a ton of money, or that I live in a room with a kitchen attached because he would appreciate that my room with a kitchen attached is next to the beach & looks like a - to quote a friend - the inside of an Anthropologie catalog.
I understand that no one single person is going to fit perfectly - but you get the idea...

And we shall meet & have the perfect life. I'm insane by the way.

Okay, but What if...
I meet someone who doesn't fit the above description of what I am "looking for"? 
Someone who doesn't necessarily look great On Paper but thinks that I am... Great.
Do I hold out for something better, someone who fits the bill a little better? If I don't, will I wonder if I've settled? Is that just plain arrogant or is it just a matter of knowing what I want? Or, do I even really know what's best for me?
Do I go, Nope nope! Next please! You don't fit! or do I crinkle up that paper and toss it out?

Nobutseriously...

No comments:

Post a Comment